Established in 2003 by the Honourable Iona Campagnolo to recognize British Columbia writers who have contributed to the development of literary excellence in the Province. This award took a brief hiatus during 2018-2019 but has been reinstated for 2020 by the Honourable Janet Austin.
This award has a separate nomination form and submission deadline. There is no fee to submit a nomination.
Supported by The Honourable Lieutenant Governor of BC
The recipient of the Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Literary Excellence will be recognized as having:
- written a substantial body of literary work throughout their career; and
- contributed significantly to the literary community/industry of the Province of British Columbia.
The prize will be an award of $3,000 and a framed certificate.
- Writers must be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents who were either born in British Columbia or whose principle place of residence has been British Columbia for at least the last five (5) full calendar years.
- Submission deadline for the 2020 Award is 5:00 pm PT on Friday, January 31, 2020.
- Writers who have written books in the following genres will be considered:
- Creative Non-fiction
- Children’s (including young adult fiction)
- Books may have been published anywhere in the world.
- There shall be only one recipient of the award each year.
- Writers will not be awarded posthumously unless they were alive at the time of selection.
Nominations will be accepted from publishers as well as writing and publishing individuals and organizations.
Nominations consist of a completed initial email in the format indicated below plus a package delivered by mail or courier of up to ten pages of typed supporting material plus up to three letters of support for the nomination.
Supporting materials can include letters from members letters from contemporaries or others testifying to the importance of the nominee’s work and life. Supporting material can also be things like published reviews or retrospectives. Basically anything to help the jurors to assess and contextualikze the influence and impact of the nominee’s work and career.
Please be sure to include one original and three copies of the entire nomination package in your mailing.
There is no limit to the number of individuals for which an organization can submit a nomination. All nominations and their supporting material are considered confidential.
Nomination Email Format + Mailing Address for Supporting Materials
Please use the following format when submitting your nominations by email.
Email Subject: LG Award for Literary Excellence, (name of nominee)
Email Body: Name of Nominee + email, home address, phone number for nominee*. Up to three quick links such as personal website, wikipedia page, etc… pertaining to the nominee’s work, life, contributions to BC literature and community.
Mail all supporting documents as noted above to BC and Yukon Book Prizes 203 – 2228 Triumph Street, Vancouver BC, V5L 1L3. Post marked no later than January 31, 2020.
- If you do not have access to the contact info for the nominee do not let that stop you from putting a nomination package together for them. We can figure these details out later.
If you have any questions about this process or submitting supporting materials please email Sean at sean [at] bcyukonbookprizes.com.
The jury shall consist of three prominent and diverse figures from the British Columbia literary community. The jury’s selection will be recommended to the Lieutenant Governor whose approval will be final. The award will be announced in mid-April and presented at the annual Lieutenant Governor’s BC and Yukon Book Prize Gala in the spring.