Established in 2003 by the Honourable Iona Campagnolo to recognize British Columbia writers who have contributed to the development of literary excellence in the Province. This award has a separate nomination form and submission deadline. There is no fee to submit a nomination.
Supported by The Honourable Lieutenant Governor of BC
The recipient of the Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Literary Excellence will be recognized as having:
- written a substantial body of literary work throughout their career; and
- contributed significantly to the literary community/industry of the Province of British Columbia.
The prize will be an award of $5,000 and a framed certificate.
- Writers must be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents who were either born in British Columbia or whose principle place of residence has been British Columbia for at least the last five (5) full calendar years.
- Submission deadline for the 2018 Award is 5:00 pm on Wednesday, January 31, 2018.
- Writers who have written books in the following genres will be considered:
- Creative Non-fiction
- Children’s (including young adult fiction)
- Books may have been published anywhere in the world.
- There shall be only one recipient of the award each year.
- Writers will not be awarded posthumously unless they were alive at the time of selection.
Nominations will be accepted from publishers as well as writing and publishing individuals and organizations. Nominations consist of a completed Nomination Form and up to ten pages of typed supporting material plus up to three letters of support for the nomination. Please be sure to include one original and three copies of the entire nomination package. There is no limit to the number of individuals for which an organization can submit a nomination. All nominations and their supporting material are considered confidential.
The jury shall consist of three prominent figures from the British Columbia literary community. The jury’s selection will be recommended to the Lieutenant Governor whose approval will be final. The award will be announced in mid-April and presented at the annual Lieutenant Governor’s BC Book Prize Gala in the spring.